Dr Muayad Alasady
MBBS (Hons), PhD, FRACP, FECS, FHRS
MBBS (Hons), PhD, FRACP, FECS, FHRS
Dr Alasady completed his basic and advanced Physician training at Canberra Hospital and was awarded the Best Registrar prize during this time. He then went on to complete multiple sub-specialised clinical training fellowships in the areas of general and electophysiological cardiology and also obtained dual-cardiology specialist registration both in Australia and Europe.
Dr Alasady has published many articles in prestigious scientific journals in the field of cardiology. He has also won numerous awards at multiple international cardiology scientific meetings, including the Cardiac Society Meeting of Australia and New Zealand, Asia Pacific Heart Rhythm Disorder Conference and North America Heart Rhythm Society Conference.
Dr Alasady is a high volume cardiologist that performs 500-600 cardiac ablations and implantations per year. He has performed thousands of complex ablations, pacemaker and defibrillator implantations during his career and has extremely up-to-date procedural skills.
Dr Alasady has a keen interest in advancing cardiology science. He completed a clinical Fellowship with PhD program at the Royal Adelaide Hospital and the University of Adelaide under the supervision of Professor Prash Sanders and Dr Glenn Young. His principle area of research was ‘Atrial Arrhythmogenesis as a Consequence of Myocardial Ischemia’.
After completing sub-specialised electrophysiology training in Adelaide, Dr Alasady returned to the ACT and established the first cardiac electrophysiological service in the state at National Capital Private Hospital in 2013. The unit has grown significantly over the last 7 years and has cared for large numbers of patients in need of complex ablations and device implantations since opening. Dr Alasady has brought many new services to the ACT, including cardiac ablation and implantation of new devices such as subcutaneous cardiac defibrillator and leadless pacemakers – a first for the ACT.
Dr Alasady routinely attends leading high volume teaching institutions across the globe from Asia to Europe and North America in order to learn, exchange experience and keep his knowledge up-to-date with the latest cardiac technology that is yet to enter the Australian market.
Dr Alasady runs a holistic cardiology clinic and sees all manner of patients, ranging from simple cardiac care to complex interventional elecrophysiology.
Cardiac electrophysiology including management of heart rhythm disorders using radiofrequency and other forms of ablations; implantation of cardiac devices including pacemakers, stents, defibrillators and cardiac resynchronisation devices; and sudden cardiac death.
1. Muayad Alasady, Walter Abhayaratna, Darryl Leong, Han Lim, Kurt Roberts-Thomson, Prashanthan Sanders. Coronary artery disease affecting the atrial branches is an independent determinant of atrial fibrillation after myocardial infarction. Heart Rhythm. 2011 Jul;8(7):955-60
2. Muayad Alasady, Cameron B Singleton, Andrew McGavigan. Left Ventricular Outflow Tract Ventricular Tachycardia Originating From the Non Coronary Cusp – Electrocardiographic And Electrophysiological Characterization And Radiofrequency Ablation. J Cardiovasc Electrophysiol. 2009 Nov;20(11):1287-90.
3. Varun Malik; Muayad Alasady; Leonard Arnolda.Transient Loss of Ventricular Pacing Capture caused by Vagal Induced Ventricular Refractoriness. J Cardiovasc Electrophysiol. 2016 SEP, Volume 27
4. Varun Malik, Sameer Saleem, Leonard Arnolda, Muayad Alasady. Comtemporary CIED (Cardiac Implnatable Electronic Devices) Mechanical and Lead Related Complications in Australia. Heart Rhythm Journal 21 Oct.2015
5. Han Lim, C. B. Singleton, M. Alasady, A. D. McGavigan. Catheter ablation for ventricular tachycardia. Internal Medicine Journal 2010
6. Muayad Alasady, Andrew McGavigan. Left Ventricular Outflow Tract Ventricular Tachycardia Originating From the Non Coronary Cusp – Electrocardiographic And Electrophysiological Characterization And Radiofrequency Ablation. Journal of cardiac electrophysiology. Letter to the editor, 2009
7. Muayad Alasady, MBChB; Nicholas J. Shipp, PhD; Dennis H Lau, MBBS; Anthony G Brooks, PhD; David Barlow; Pawel Kuklik, PhD; Han S Lim, MBBS; Darryl P Leong, MBBS; Kurt C. Roberts-Thompson, MBBS, PhD; Walter Abhayaratna, MBBS, PhD; Prashanthan Sanders, MBBS, PhD. Myocardial infarction and atrial fibrillation: importance of atrial ischemia. Circ Arrhythm Electrophysiol. 2013 Aug;6(4):738-45.
8. Pathak RK, Middeldorp ME, Lau DH, Mehta AB, Mahajan R, Twomey D, Alasady M, Hanley L, Antic NA, McEvoy RD, Kalman JM, Abhayaratna WP, Sanders P. Aggressive risk factor reduction study for atrial fibrillation and implications for the outcome of ablation: the ARREST-AF cohort study. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2014 Dec 2;64(21):2222-31.
9. Lim HS, Willoughby SR, Schultz C, Chakrabarty A, Alasady M, Lau DH, Roberts-Thomson KC, Worthley MI, Young GD, Sanders P. Successful catheter ablation decreases platelet activation and improves endothelial function in patients with atrial fibrillation. Heart Rhythm. 2014 Nov;11(11):1912-8
10. Lim HS, Schultz C, Dang J, Alasady M, Lau DH, Brooks AG, Wong CX, Roberts-Thomson KC, Young GD, Worthley MI, Sanders P, Willoughby SR. Time course of inflammation, myocardial injury, and prothrombotic response after radiofrequency catheter ablation for atrial fibrillation. Circ Arrhythm Electrophysiol. 2014 Feb;7(1):83-9
11. Brooks AG, Wilson L, Chia NH, Lau DH, Alasady M, Leong DP, Laborderie J, Roberts-Thomson KC, Young GD, Kalman JM, Sanders P. Accuracy and clinical outcomes of CT image integration with Carto-Sound compared to electro-anatomical mapping for atrial fibrillation ablation: a randomized controlled study. Int J Cardiol. 2013 Oct 3;168(3):2774-82
12. Lim HS, Leong DP, Alasady M. Massive hiatus hernia mimicking a left atrial mass. Heart Lung Circ. 2013 Oct;22(10):875-6
13. Lim HS, Willoughby SR, Schultz C, Gan C, Alasady M, Lau DH, Leong DP, Brooks AG, Young GD, Kistler PM, Kalman JM, Worthley MI, Sanders P. Effect of atrial fibrillation on atrial thrombogenesis in humans: impact of rate and rhythm. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2013 Feb 26;61(8):852-60
14. Abed HS, Samuel CS, Lau DH, Kelly DJ, Royce SG, Alasady M, Mahajan R, Kuklik P, Zhang Y, Brooks AG, Nelson AJ, Worthley SG, Abhayaratna WP, Kalman JM, Wittert GA, Sanders P. Obesity results in progressive atrial structural and electrical remodeling: implications for atrial fibrillation. Heart Rhythm. 2013 Jan;10(1):90-100
15. Mahajan R, Brooks AG, Sullivan T, Lim HS, Alasady M, Abed HS, Ganesan AN, Nayyar S, Lau DH, Roberts-Thomson KC, Kalman JM, Sanders P. Importance of the underlying substrate in determining thrombus location in atrial fibrillation: implications for left atrial appendage closure. Heart. 2012 Aug;98(15):1120-6
16. Lau DH, Mackenzie L, Shipp NJ, Kuklik P, Dimitri H, Lobb BL, Alasady M, Lim HS, Kelly DR, Brooks AG, Saint DA, Sanders P.Feasibility of high-density electrophysiological study using multiple-electrode array in isolated small animal atria. Clin Exp Pharmacol Physiol. 2010 Oct;37(10):1023-7
17. Lau DH, Alasady M, Brooks AG, Sanders P. New-onset atrial fibrillation and acute coronary syndrome. Expert Rev Cardiovasc Ther. 2010 Jul;8(7):941-8
18. Leong DP, Mitchell AM, Salna I, Brooks AG, Sharma G, Lim HS, Alasady M, Barlow M, Leitch J, Sanders P, Young GD. Long-term mechanical consequences of permanent right ventricular pacing: effect of pacing site. J Cardiovasc Electrophysiol. 2009 Nov;20(11):1287-90
19. Thavapalachandran S, Leong DP, Stiles MK, John B, Dimitri H, Lau DH, Psaltis PJ, Brooks AG, Alasady M, Lim HS, Young GD, Sanders P.Evidence-based management of heart failure in clinical practice: a review of device-based therapy use. Internal Medicine Journal 2009.
20. Muayad Alasady;¹ Walter Abhayaratna;² Darryl P.Leong;¹ Han S. Lim,¹ Kurt C. Roberts-Thomson;¹ Anthony G. Brooks;¹ Matthew I. Worthley;¹ Derek Chew;³ Prashanthan Sanders.¹ Ischemia is an Important Determinant of Atrial Fibrillation after Myocardial Infarction. Presented in HRS-Denver 2010 (oral), ESC-Stockholm 2010.
21. Muayad Alasady;¹ Walter Abhayaratna;² Darryl P.Leong;¹ Han S. Lim,¹ Kurt C. Roberts-Thomson;¹ Anthony G. Brooks;¹ Matthew I. Worthley;¹ Derek Chew;³ Prashanthan Sanders. Left Atrial Structural Remodeling as a Consequence of Myocardial Infarction: Relationship to Adverse Cardiovascular Outcome. Presented in ESC 2010-Stockholm (poster).
22. Muayad Alasady, MBChB; Derek Chew, MBBS, MPH; David Barlow; Darryl Leong, MBBS; Anthony Brooks; PhD; Han Lim, MBBS; Kurt Roberts-Thomson, MBBS, PhD; Walter Abhayaratna, MBBS, PhD; Prashanthan Sanders, MBBS, PhD. Atrial fibrillation post myocardial infarction is associated with ventricular fibrillation and poor long- term outcomes. Presented in HRS-2010 Denver (poster), CSANZ-2010 Adelaide (oral)
23. Muayad Alasady, MBChB; Lorraine Mackenzie, PhD; Dennis H Lau, MBBS; Anthony Brooks, PhD; Nicholas J. Shipp, PhD; David Barlow; Pawel Kuklik, PhD; Kurt C. Roberts-Thompson, MBBS, PhD; David A. Saint, PhD; Matthew I. Worthley, MBBS, PhD; Walter Abhayaratna, MBBS, PhD Prashanthan Sanders, MBBS, PhD. Atrial Ischemia Rather Than the Neurohumoral or Hemodynamic Changes associated with Acute Myocardial Infarction Results in the Substrate for Atrial Fibrillation. Presented in Cardiac society of Australia and Newzealand as oral (Ralph readers finalist)-Adelaide-2010, APHRS-Je Ju – South Korea (best paper ward).
24. Alasady M, Farshid A,Foster C: Reduction of contrast induced nephropathy using rotational coronary angiography. Heart Lung Cir, 2007
25. Alasady M,Jeffery I, McGill D,Coles D, Farshid A, Tan R.Subacute bacterial endocarditis,The Canberra Hospital Experience 2000-2006. Heart Lung Cir, 2007, vol 16, page S7
26. Alasady M,Jeffery I, McGill D, Coles D,FarshidA, Tan R. Subacute
27. Alasady M, Dimitri H, Stiles MK, John B, Lau DH, Lim PH, Young GD, Sanders P. Ablation of Ischemic Ventricular Fibrillation: A “Storm” Before the “Calm”. Heart Rhythm 2009: 6: S452.
28. Alasady M , Singleton C,McGavigan A.Left Ventricular Outflow Tract Ventricular Tachycardia Originating From the Non Coronary Cusp – Electrocardiographic And Electrophysiological Characterization And Radiofrequency ablation. CSANZ, Aug-2009.
29. Alasady M, Mackenzie L, Brooks A, Lau D, Namboodiri N, Pawel KukliK, Wong C, Worthley M, Abhayaratna W, Sanders P. Atrial remodeling in acute myocardial infarction: Implications for atrial arrhythmogenesis. Accepted in CSANZ, August-2009
30. Alasady M, Abhayaratna W, Brooks A, Leong D, Worthley M, Chew D,Sanders P.atrial ischemia predicts risk of atrial fibrillation in acute myocardial infarction. Accepted in CSANZ, Aug-2009.
31. B. Jacobson*, A. Farshid, G. Talaulikar, M. Alasady, P. Johnson, J. Craig, S. Searle, U. Musial. Clinical and Echocardiographic predictors of adverse cardiovascular events in patients with severe chronic kidney disease. Accepted in CSANZ, Aug-2009
32. Wong CX, Kuklik P, Stiles MK, Brooks AG, John B, Lau DH, Dimitri H, De Sciscio P, Willoughby SR, Lim PH, Alasady M, Sanders P. Type 2 Atrial Defibrillation: Implications for Low Voltage Electrical Cardioversion. Heart Rhythm 2009: 6: S5
33. Lau DH, Mackenzie L, Wong CX, Kuklik P, Stiles MK, John B, Dimitri H, Lim PH, Alasady M, Wilson L, Brooks AG, Young GD, Sanders P. Characterization of Atrial Frequency and Fractionation During Atrial Fibrillation: A Long Term Study in Conscious Hypertensive Sheep. Heart Rhythm 2009: 6: S8.
34. Wilson L, Kyriakou N, Brooks AG, John B, Dimitri H, Lau DH, Lim PH, Alasady M, Sharma G, Namboodiri N, Young GD, Sanders P. Stability of Esophageal Location: Comparison of Computed Tomography Pre and 12-month Post Atrial Fibrillation Ablation. Heart Rhythm 2009: 6: S1.
35. Wilson L, Brooks AG, Kyriakou N, John B, Dimitri H, Lau DH, Lim PH, Alasady M, Sharma G, Namboodiri N, Young GD, Sanders P. Real-time Cartosound Imaging of the Esophagus During Atrial Fibrillation Ablation: Comparison with Pre-Procedural Computed Tomography. Heart Rhythm 2009: 6: S2.
36. Brooks AG, Chia N, Wilson L, John B, Dimitri H, Alasady M, De Sciscio P, Lau DH, Sharma G, Namboodiri N, Young GD, Sanders P. Initial Clinical Experience with CARTO-sound for AF Ablation. Heart Rhythm 2009: 6: S266.
New life-saving heart procedure a coup for Canberra Hospital
Letters to the editor April 12, 2019: Canberra’s new cardiac service is a life saver for patients
Expanded service jump starting treatment for cardiac patients
ACT-first surgery with new generation defibrillator